The Sectoral Activity Data for GHG Emissions (SAGE) tool provides a first-of-its-kind, user-friendly interface for gathering and processing activity data in conjunction with indispensable documentation for greenhouse gas emissions inventories, projections, and mitigation impact analyses.
Existing GHG calculation tools use activity data as inputs that are, all too often, assumed to be readily available and in a standard and precise format. But, in practice, data providers rarely produce primary data in the exact formats needed for GHG estimation. Therefore, GHG emissions inventory compilers and mitigation analysts must construct ad-hoc methods and tools (e.g., spreadsheets) to “process” messy and raw statistical data into the complete and clean “useable” data required by existing emissions calculation, projections, and reporting tools.
The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute is developing SAGE – a data collection and management tool.
Because well-developed tools help climate MRV systems succeed.
SAGE is an innovative platform that eases data gathering, reduces errors early on, and produces indispensable documentation—for GHG inventories, GHG projections, and mitigation impact quantification.
SAGE also steers users through the difficult work of identifying and filling in their data gaps and conducting data quality control checks, all in line with Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) good practice.
There are so many tools – is SAGE recreating the wheel? No! SAGE does not replace other tools for estimating GHG emissions or removals. SAGE fills the critical gap that exists in managing activity data and other GHG information before you calculate emissions.
What functions does SAGE support?
- Accurate unit conversions
- Identifying data gaps and providing “smart” gap-filling
- Analysis of activity data using algorithms and auto-populating charts
- The use of 2006 IPCC Guidelines activity data collection methods
- Excel file compatible imports and exports
- Indicator calculation
- Automated quality control checks, flagging problematic input data and time series
- Supported internal data quality review and approval processes to match existing workflow
- Archiving and backing up data – data is logged, auditable, and recoverable
- Data security with differing user and administrative log-in rights
- Allows for confidential and secure storage of data on internal, external, or cloud-based servers
- Access through computer, mobile, or tablet
- Retrieval of data and documentation from previous users