Webinar: Blockchain for climate actions and carbon markets
Transformational tools like blockchain are needed to address the urgency and magnitude of climate challenges. Blockchain enables higher levels of participation and ambition and can mobilize large-scale investments into climate actions to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In this webinar, Tom Baumann and an invited speaker panel present the following:
- An overview of blockchain applications supporting climate actions
- An introduction to blockchain technology and how it links with other digital technologies (Internet of Things, Big Data) to enable environmental data to be commoditized for markets
- An introduction of blockchain applications for climate finance
- An explanation of how blockchain can support international climate efforts, and next steps to support broad adoption of blockchain in the climate space
Webinar Recorded: October 25, 2017
Tom Baumann (GHGMI)
- Co-Founder and Director of Knowledge Management at GHGMI, Tom is continually pushing the envelope for exploring how digital technologies can better serve GHG MRV. To this end he is also the co-founder of Collaborase (an application that facilitates consensus-based mass collaboration, e.g. GHG MRV guidance) and co-founder of Xpansiv (a Blockchain-enabled platform to standardize, quantify, verify, and value environmental and social impacts of commodities at the production level). Tom currently serves as faculty at the Blockchain Research Institute.
Joe Madden, (Xpansiv)
- An experienced entrepreneur in the clean economy, Joe combined his expertise in global supply chain management, commodity markets and stakeholder engagement to conceptualize and co-found Xpansiv.
Cao Yin (Energy Blockchain Labs)
- One of the earliest proponents of the Energy Internet concept in China, Cao participated in the formulation and popularization of China’s National Energy Internet Action Plan as one of the leaders of the task force. He also is the Chief Expert of Blockchain of China Cinda Security, which is the IBD of China Cinda, the biggest financial asset management company in China.
Stéphane Voisin (ILB Research Initiative)
- Stéphane is a sustainable finance specialist, currently coordinating the Climate Chain project at ILB, a public research organisation in France. Stephane is also a partner at Futurs, a digital incubator for green projects. He teaches sustainable finance at Paris-Dauphine University. Stephane is a founding member of the Low Carbon Index Committee and the 2Degrees Investing Think Tank.