The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute’s Research Program conducts forward-looking independent research. Pairing the unique expert experience of its staff and faculty with the dynamism of its extensive practitioner network, the Institute’s Research Program provides insight on foundational areas of climate policy and the practice of environmental management.
This program provides policy makers, industry leaders, and academics with forward-looking inquiry and analysis of GHG MRV and management challenges and solutions.
The Institute is unique in the field of GHG measurement and management, arguably ahead of its time in terms of the problems it is addressing. However, it was founded to address this paucity of thought leadership and our Research Program is characterized by the commitment to investigating, confronting, and pushing these issues from the dark corners of academia and technocracy to the mainstream.
Select projects and publications include:
- Carbon Management, a peer-reviewed scholarly journal published by Taylor & Francis, and available to our Premium Members
Peer-Reviewed Staff Publications
- Lessons learned for future transparency capacity building under the Paris Agreement: A review of greenhouse gas inventory capacity building projects in Viet Nam and Cambodia (In Press)
- Creative accounting: A critical perspective on the market-based method for reporting purchased electricity (scope 2) emissions (2017)
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventory capacity: An assessment of Asian developing countries (2017)
- Lessons learned in mandatory carbon market development (2017)
- LiDAR-Assisted Multi-Source Program (LAMP) for Measuring Above Ground Biomass and Forest Carbon (2017)
- The Clean Development Mechanism: A Review of the First International Offset Program (2011)
- GHG schemes addressing climate change: How ISO standards help (2010)
Institute Reports and Discussion Papers
- Challenges and Proposed Reforms to the UNFCCC Expert Review Process for the Enhanced Transparency Framework (2019)
- Methods to Account for Greenhouse Gas Emissions Embedded in Wholesale Power Purchases (2019)
- Response to the Greenhouse Gas Protocol’s Consultation on Draft Scope 2 Guidance (2015)
- What is Additionality? (2012) (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
- Taking Quality Assurance Seriously in Carbon Markets (2010)
- Green Jobs Training: Promoting Accountability in Carbon Markets (2010)
- The Offset Quality Initiative (2008) (6/2009) (11/2009)
GHGMI Surveys, Reports and UNFCCC Submissions
- UNFCCC APA non-party submission: Views on issues under agenda item 5: Modalities, procedures and guidelines for the transparency framework for action and support referred to in Article 13 of the Paris Agreement (2017)
- UNFCCC APA non-party submission: Guidance on: (a) features of nationally determined contributions, as specified in paragraph 26; (b) information to facilitate clarity, transparency and understanding of nationally determined contributions, as specified in paragraph 28; and (c) accounting for Parties’ nationally determined contributions, as specified in paragraph 31 (2017)
- Greenhouse Gas and Climate Change Workforce Needs Assessment Surveys (2009) (2010)
- GHGMI Greenhouse Gas Inventory Reports (2009)
To learn more about our Research Program, please contact us.